Chelsea’s fall-out with Atlético Madrid will be reenacted yet again after they were drawn in the same Champions League group as the club Diego Costa is determined to rejoin.
Antonio Conte’s side will face Atlético, Roma and FK Qarabag in a difficult Group C, but it is Tottenham Hotspur who have landed in the dreaded ‘group of death’ against European champions Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Apoel.
Manchester United have been handed arguably the most favourable draw of the English clubs, while Manchester City and Liverpool will also be optimistic. Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will be similarly pleased as they face Sevilla, Spartak Moscow and Maribor.
Barcelona and Juventus will be heavy favourites to qualify from Group D, having been pitched against Olympiacos and Sporting Lisbon, while the German upstarts RB Leipzig will play Monaco, Porto and Besiktas, in what looks to be a wide open Group G.
- Group A Benfica, Man Utd, Basel, CSKA Moscow
- Group B Bayern Munich, PSG, Anderlecht, Celtic
- Group C Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Roma, Qarabag
- Group D Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiakos, Sporting
- Group E Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool, Maribor
- Group F Shakhtar, Man City, Napoli, Feyenoord
- Group G Monaco, Porto, Besiktas, RB Leipzig
- Group H Real Madrid, Dortmund, Tottenham, APOEL